Focus of work
Through their Traffic Reduction Campaign, Friends of the Earth Scotland will advocate for the measures needed to deliver on the Scottish Government’s commitment to reduce car use. Targeting four key city councils, they will work with existing community groups and build broad support for traffic-reduction measures that residents want to see in their area.
Communities in the four cities will benefit from traffic reduction measures in multiple ways:
- Protecting public health
- Benefitting local economies
- Improving social connectedness and a sense of community
- Helping us all be more active
- Fighting climate change
- Low-income communities will benefit from a more sustainable transport system.
- Children, the elderly and people with pre-existing health conditions will particularly benefit from traffic reduction and the consequent air quality improvements.
The importance of this message has only heightened with Covid-19.